A Quest for Dancers

ok, check i’m going to go ahead and make this official, diagnosis put it out in public and see what happens….

i’m looking for dancers for a project. it’s a big project. it involves a lot of travel.

so, healthful i’m looking for dancers with several years’ experience in oriental/american tribal/folkloric dance traditions (bellydance in many flavors, flamenco, indian, polynesian and suchlike), who really, really want to perform, really want to share their stuff with new people, aren’t afraid of fusion in dance and music and don’t have too many ties that keep them in one place (family, mortgage, high-powered career track, etc) and are mature enough to handle interpersonal relations for an extended period of time. yeah, that should narrow it down quite a bit :)

the short version: amazing dancers that want to run away with the circus, only it’s not really a circus.

other requirements: must have a grand sense of humor (this is a celebration), and be willing to roll up your sleeves and work hard.

so, if you are, or if you know of such people, i’d like to chat with them. soon.

please get in touch (i’m easy to find) or just comment here…

below is a draft of the “mission statement” for the performance; if you’d like to come on this journey with me, you’ll be performing with something like this in mind…

Ratana

Celebrating a Universe of Jewels

Each of us is a unique and precious individual – a jewel. Ratana recognizes that we live in a universe of jewels, and celebrate you all.

At the dawn of the 21st century, as technology brings the most remote corners of the world together, we live in an age of clashing and melding cultures. Cultures do not come together without friction and conflict, but we all share fundamental experiences ? we are all born, grow and learn ? and sometimes, we all celebrate. Ratana brings dance from around the world to challenge and grow together and to honor you, the audience that has come to share in our celebration and support our work.

With the first person to bang on a hollow log and the first person to move to that rhythm, humans joined an eternal dance. Since then, we have embraced and imbued dance with meaning, taking it beyond the rhythms of nature and creating personal expression. Ratana embraces these thousands of years of dance, from a myriad of cultures, in our expression of joy and celebration.

Thank you for sharing our dream.

Be inspired. Be yourself. Be amazing. Dance.

This entry was posted in Art, Audition. Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to A Quest for Dancers

1. Anonymous says:

I’ll send a shout out :’>

2. Anonymous says:

sounds interesting,give me some more info????

3. Anonymous says:

i’ll be putting together an informal meeting in either dc or northern virginia in the next week or two to lay out some details and keep fishing for talent.

4. Anonymous says:

How many dancers are you looking for? What’s the time commitment? More details would help significantly.

5. Anonymous says:

right now the plan calls for 5 principal and 6 ensemble dancers, plus two more “characters.” Still working on a production schedule, but it is literally a “pick up your life and go” commitment.

6. Anonymous says:

HI – any idea – when it would begin? I’m in the middle of my thesis research right now. How long do you anticpate this journey will last?

Miramar

7. Anonymous says:

the earliest practical “launch date” is fall 2004, and, assuming that it becomes self-sustaining (economically), the journey will last forever. your individual journey will probably run 4 to 6 months.

8. Anonymous says:

Hi Roj,

I thank you for considering me!

Since I’m President of WAMEDA, run 2 dance troupes, teach my weekly classes, just got married, and have a day job, I don’t know that I am available for such a time committment. Plus, I do have bookings in the Fall of 2004 already.

I may be able to participate on a limited basis, but I am not sure what your project entails. I am willing to attend a meeting and find out, or possibly help other dancers who are able to make the committment by substituting for them while they are away if they would like me to.

Please let me know if you plan a meeting.

Jaka

9. Anonymous says:

Hello.I am artist of ballet.I looking for job.could you help me please?See my web site
    Thank you.